It’s time to rake your leaves. Is there anyway to make it easier?
When I was a kid, I remember raking leaves in the fall. We had huge trees out front and I remember raking week after week to no end. Is there an easier way?
Here are some tips offered by: Rodales Organic Life.
- Always rake with the wind, not against it.
- During the time when you have a few fallen leaves and are still mowing your lawn, mow the leaves as well.
- Keep whole leaves from blowing away by stomping through the pile.
- Rake into many small piles instead of a couple large ones.
- Ask your hardware store which rake is appropriate for your job. There are many different styles available.
- Use your leaves for composting.
- Mix leaf species whenever possible. This is for best decomposition.
- Wear gloves to prevent blisters.
- Wear a dust mask to prevent dust and allergens from getting into your sinuses.
- Don’t pick up leaves unless you must.
- Watch the noise. Yard equipment can be loud, be considerate to your neighbors.
- Work a little at a time, and stop when you’ve had enough. Keep in mind that leaf season will last for several weeks, so you have plenty of time to let yourself enjoy the weather and the work.
When it’s time to rake, remember, raking is strenuous exercise.
- Do a little light stretching before you begin
- Take a break when you need one
- Hydrate properly (water, electrolytes)
- Use sunscreen (even though it’s cold you are still getting sun exposure)
If you find you will be doing general yard, garage and house clean up, consider renting a large dumpster from Western Disposal Services in and around Albuquerque. We can bring you a dumpster (10 or 15 Cubic Yards), yours for 30 days. These size dumpsters start at $280 in Albuquerque. Call for same day delivery (505) 450-7671.